The Burnie Regional Museum’s Winter Collection comprises more than 300,000 photographic negatives. Three generations of Winter family photographers captured more than 90 years of our region’s history on camera.
Founded by Ernest Albert Winter, Winter’s Studio opened in Cattley Street in 1909. The collection includes images of Burnie and many other areas of the North-West Coast, as well as photographs taken of weddings, social activities, sporting events and family portraits. The collection is extremely valuable as a pictorial history of Burnie.
We have chosen to reproduce a select few of the Winter Collection images, capturing Burnie in the early twentieth century. They are available as matted prints, cards and even fridge magnets from our gift shop.
Copies of other photographs from the collection are available on request.